Wednesday, August 19, 2009

You hear hymn tunes in the most unexpected places!


Yesterday I had occasion to drive out of the city. It was a lovely day for a drive - sunny and not too hot - and I enjoyed being out on the open prairie where the sky is the whole horizon and the bright yellow canola fields border the highway. I took along 2 new CD's to keep me company, and I listened leisurely as the kilometers rolled by. The first selection was by Debussy - En blanc et noir: Three pieces for two pianos. This is not repertoire I am familiar with, I guess mostly because it is for 2 pianos. Anyway, the second piece of the three is called "Lent, sombre" (slow, sombre) and I was absentmindedly listening when I thought I heard one of the pianos playing Ein feste burg. My ears perked up - yes, undoubtedly it was! Isn't it true, you hear hymn tunes in the most unexpected places!

No comments: