Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Merry Christmas! (for real)

We are now firmly planted in the 12 days of Christmas. These are my relaxing days; the musical demands of the season are behind me now and I can listen to carols and enjoy them!

Last year, I wrote a little on the subject of sentiment and/or emotion in the carols we sing. The Victorian writers were especially good (it seems to me) at glossing over the hard reality of Jesus' birth. I was challenged by a friend to write something that was more realistic but still singable.

Asleep in the manger; there's no other place
for Mary to put Him. There's dust on His face.
The cattle are noisy! She just needs to rest
with Joseph and Jesus; she feels very blessed.

But wait! There are shepherds who come now to see
the Babe in the manger and His family.
'Twas angels that told them - well, that's what they say.
It would have been nice if they'd come the next day.

The Baby is crying again; is He wet?
Or hungry or cold? Mary's not sure, and yet
she loves Him and holds Him and sings Him to sleep
accompanied by sounds from the goats and the sheep.

5 comments:

C.W.S. said...

I like it! A modern-day Away in a manger.

AuntE said...

Thank you, CWS. Not sure I'd have the courage to ever use it in public...

Dorothy said...

I like it too, AuntE. And I'd love to see (or hear) it have a wider audience!

AuntE said...

Well, with 2 votes of confidence, maybe next year will be the year to try it out. Thanks!

Pattie said...

"No crying he makes" led me toward depression long ago.