Monday, April 18, 2011

Holy Week

I can't pretend to speak for all church musicians, but I know I have a love/hate relationship with Holy Week. I love celebrating the high points and recognizing the sombre times. I love the music that goes with those all-important days of the church calendar. I hate the frantic feeling I get nearly every year thinking that the music can never possibly be ready in time. I hate feeling like each service is something to cross off my to-do list when it's finished so I can move on to the next one and get it over with too.

In the midst of all this busy-ness, I stopped at the grocery store Friday afternoon. After getting the few things I needed, I got back in the car to drive home. As I started the car, the radio came on exactly, and I do mean exactly, at the place in Sibelius's symphony where we get the hymn tune FINLANDIA. The first line of the hymn text popped into my mind - "Be still my soul, the Lord is on thy side." Just what I needed to hear to slow me down and take a deep breath!

No comments: