Monday, November 21, 2011

In the service of the King

Yesterday was Christ the King Sunday, the final Sunday in the church year. I heard a very good, thought provoking sermon titled "Active in the service of the King". This title, as well as thoughts brought out in the message made me think of an old song I haven't heard for years. Of course, I had to look it up. Here are the words of verse and the refrain:

I am happy in the service of the King.
I am happy, O so happy!
I have peace and joy that nothing else can bring,
In the service of the King.

Refrain

In the service of the King
Every talent I will bring.
I have peace and joy and blessing
In the service of the King.

Cyberhymnal indicates that these words were written in 1912 by Alfred H. Ackley and there are days when I quite agree with Ackley: I have peace and joy and blessing as I serve my heavenly King to the best of my ability.

But I also think there are days when serving doesn't bring that much joy. Rather it brings headaches, planning nightmares, logistical diplomacy to the nth degree. Maybe we have to work through those parts to get to the blessings.

Thoughts my faithful readers?

No comments: