Monday, December 19, 2011

Advent 3 - Joy!

I am obviously a little behind here... someday I'll learn how to write ahead and have Blogger put up my post on a certain day. So, how am I doing in the 'joy department'? I've come to realize that the third week of Advent is generally my 'panic' week - the week during which I fret that nothing will be ready on time, that I've bitten off more than I can chew, etc. Joy seems to sprout wings and fly off to some other, less busy, less frantic home! Or does it? What is (or should be) the Christian believer's definition of joy? I'm open to comments and suggestions, my readers...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Faust sold his soul to the devil for one moment of perfect contentment. And he found that moment while selflessly helping a stranger. The definition of joy for the Christian believer shouldn't be any different than it is for the non christian or non believer, should it?

AuntE said...

Selflessly helping a stranger is definitely one thing that can bring us joy. I guess the challenge to me is whether joy is an emotion to experience in life or an attitude through which to experience life. The first is occasional, the second (hopefully) more pervasive and continual.

AuntE said...

Still thinking about your question, Unknown... and not sure of my response. I think if a person is sincerely trying to follow their belief system, be it Christian or any other world religion, it changes one's perspective on life. Wouldn't that then alter some definitions of either experiences or attitudes?