Tuesday, February 28, 2012

What's the difference?

I've been thinking a lot over the last week or so about being stubborn and being persistent.  I got as far yesterday as looking up definitions for these 2 words and really, on paper, they are more similar than one might think.  The difference seems to be mostly in connotation.  If I hear someone say a person is stubborn, the image that comes to my mind is an inflexible attitude and an uncooperative spirit.  However, if a person is described as persistent, I would see someone who keeps at their task, whether chosen or assigned, until it's completed.

When it comes to a life of faith, is one word better than the other?  Does each word have pros and cons?  Can someone be stubborn and persistent about the same thing?  As always, my readers, your comments are welcomed.

2 comments:

Dorothy said...

I think you are right, AuntE, that the difference is in the connotation and I think most people view stubbornness as the negative connotation of that attribute while they view persistence as positive. Regarding faith, I suppose persistence is preferable because of that positive connotation but I really think both words are neutral and we put the spin on them. Stubbornly clinging to faith in our sovereign and loving God in a world that regards that as foolishness seems very positive to me but to an atheist that same persistence would be viewed as extremely foolish.

That's my two cents.

AuntE said...

Thanks for your 2 cents; they pretty much agree with my 2 cents! Over coffee with a friend last week, we came up with some other pairs of words that could be discussed in this way. Check my new post for a slightly humorous twist...