Friday, July 20, 2012

Task: Summarize "The Meeting Place: Sharing Our Song"









 
 Remember that song from the early 70's - "There's got to be a morning after..."?  Well, today is the morning after the conclusion of the annual conference of The Hymn Society in the United States and Canada.  How can I possibly articulate what a wonderful impact the last five days have had on me? 

I think more time is needed to digest what I took in; the most I'm capable of today is a brief overview:
  • 2 brand new, hot off the press, hymnals.
  • 3 very thought provoking plenary speakers:  Alice Parker, Andrew Fullerton and Stan McKay.
  • 4 hymn festivals - all included lots of sight singing, often in 4 parts, with 200+ people.
  • 5 great workshops covering a variety of topics including Canadian hymn writers and finding and using hymns on YouTube.
  • innumerable new friends and colleagues, all enthusiastic about music for worship in its many forms!


As I write, the sending song/benediction of our closing hymn festival is running through my head.  I'm sure that was the intent of the organizers - that we go out singing something joyful and energetic which would propel us back into everyday life with the inspiration such a conference provides to those who attend.  The song's tune name is GIPGIL - Go in peace, go in love!

2 comments:

C.W.S. said...

So happy that you got the experience of a Hymn Society Conference! I saw you on their Facebook page during the week and was hoping to hear more about it.

I know that my first Conference in Berkeley CA in 2008 was simply unforgettable and I still often use the resources I picked up that week.

Getting back into the "real world" takes some time and effort but I hope you can tell us more when you get a chance.

AuntE said...

To say it was "Wonderful!" doesn't really begin to cover such an experience, as you well know. Stay tuned - there is more to come! I almost feel as if I MUST write things down in case I start to forget although I know that isn't likely to happen. It doesn't surprise me a bit to hear you say you are still using resources from 2008.

Thanks, CWS, for reading and being interested in this newbie's impressions!