Sunday, February 1, 2009

Hanging on until...


The two photos above were taken about a week apart on Jan. 6/09 and Jan. 12/09. The snow continued to drift and the overhang got even bigger until I really began to wonder how long it would hang on. It eventually fell off on Friday when the temperature here in Winnipeg got above 0 (C). It struck me the other day that I was feeling a little like that drift... hanging on over the edge and looking down at the ground!

January became a very busy month for me. Part of the reason for that was the house concert I gave last evening. For the past couple of weeks, my head has been full of the music I was preparing, and the program notes I was writing, or at least thinking through in my head. One of the joys for me of performing is digging into the history behind the hymns and songs I am playing. I thought for this post, I'd share one of my favourite tidbits of insight from the program.

"Be Thou My Vision" - I love this hymn! The arrangement I play is by Teresa Wilhelmi and it is wonderful in its simplicity in places, and awesome in its power in others. A couple times in the words we find the phrase "High King of heaven". While reading The Fields of Bannockburn by Donna Fletcher Crow awhile back, I learned that the ancient Celts had many kings of small kingdoms. These kings would meet together and elect one of them to be the "High King" - the king of all kings. Singing "Be Thou My Vision" has taken on a new dimension for me ever since.

2 comments:

Dorothy said...

Oh, AuntE, Be Thou My Vision just may be my very favorite hymn! "Just may be" because I really do love so many but that one, Be Thou My Vision, never fails to stir such deep emotions towards God in me. I would love to hear you play it! And thanks for the new insight into the "High King of heaven."

AuntE said...

I know what you mean, Dorothy, about having so many favourite hymns. I'm in that boat right along with you! I love to share things that give new appreciation for the words or melodies of these great treasures. Glad you enjoyed it.

Evangeline