Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Remembering my baptism

I admit, it is getting a little hard to actually remember my baptism although it happened in my teens, outside, in a river. On January 11th, the Sunday that we read the passage from Mark about Christ's baptism, I came home from church and spent about a half hour looking for the photo I have somewhere of the Beaver River in Ontario where I was baptized. If I had found it I would have scanned it and posted it here. In any case, the important thing as I see it, is not that we have an actual memory of the time and place we were baptized. After all, many believers are baptized as infants or young children. The important thing is to remember what it means. As I mentioned earlier, I was baptized in a river - totally immersed under the water and raised up to life in Christ. Each year in the church calendar there is a week to remember Christ's baptism, and through it, our own. It seems very appropriate to me that we do this at the beginning of the calendar year when our minds are so often focused on a new beginning.

No comments: