Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Every Morning

Happy New Year!
I knew it was snowing when I went to bed last night - or maybe I should say very early this morning - but I was pleasantly surprised to see about 2-5cm of fresh snow when I got up today. There are many wonderful things about a fresh snowfall. It makes everything so clean and white, and especially on New Year's it seems to mirror the fresh, clean start we all get to the year. A new snowfall also sparkles like diamonds when the sun is out, as it is now, and it reminds me of the riches of God's grace and love in my life, and the beauty of the world around me.

One hymn that often comes to mind for me on this day is "Great is Thy Faithfulness". I remember singing this at a Watchnight service as a teenager. I'm not sure if that's when it became significant to me, but the words are meaningful still all these years later.

There's a more recent setting of words from Lamentations 3 by Edith McNeill that have also been running through my head today:

"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases.
Your mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning, new every morning:
great is your faithfulness, O Lord, great is your faithfulness!"

I hope that on this first day of 2009 you will find time to reflect on the goodness of God and the fresh start that God's mercy and grace give us each day.

No comments: