Thursday, March 26, 2009

Lead me, Lord

For a few weeks now, Christians have been journeying through Lent. This season of reflection and penitence mirrors 2 Biblical events - the wandering of God's people through the wilderness (40 years) and Christ's 40 day fast in the wilderness. In the first example, God's leading is obvious in hindsight. The people had the cloud by day and the fire by night to show them where to go. I'm guessing I would have been among the complainers had I actually been there, wandering around for 40 years! In the second example, Christ shows us the importance of scripture in our battles with temptation. We can rely on God's word to give us the guidance we need to persevere in our Christian walk.

The anthem the choir sang last Sunday has been running through my thoughts all week, and has become a prayer for me. Part of the piece is by Samuel S. Wesley (1810-1876) and I quote it for you here:

Lead me, Lord, lead me in your righteousness;
Make your way plain before my face,
For it is you, and you, God only,
Who makes me to dwell in safety.

Words based on Psalm 4:8 and Psalm 5:8

No comments: