Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Memories...

When it comes to hymns and researching them, or looking up an old tune, it doesn't take much to distract me! This morning, against my better judgment, I decided to page through this old hymnal to look for tunes written by Phoebe Palmer Knapp. (I say 'against my better judgment' because I really do have lots to do today.) I read this interesting post yesterday and it started me thinking; this old hymnal might be a place to search. "Glorious Gospel Hymns" was copyright/printed in 1931 by the Nazarene Publishing House. My earliest memories do not include singing from this book, but from the one I think followed it. It had the same colour cover - what I call 'hymnal maroon' - with a gold print title on the cover. Was it "Praise and Worship"?


It struck me once again as I leafed through this old book how very powerful music is. I have seen a man with severe Alzheimers sing every word along with an old song, although he probably could not have told me where he lived. The melodies and words stick in our heads, and maybe our hearts too, and come back to us at a moment's notice. The hymn on the right is one of many I came across which brought back memories. Now, sentimental as that is, there is more to it than that. The words speak to our faith: "He saw me ruined in the fall, yet loved me, notwithstanding all." "He safely leads my soul along, His loving-kindness, O how strong!" Words that reinforce our faith or help us articulate what we believe are a valuable expressive tool for believers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Hymnal Maroon" - Yes! We all know that colour. Finally, it has a name!

Merrem said...

I remember that old hymnal...our poor lil' church in B.C. was the laaaaaast to update by a longshot when the subsequent one came out.
Hymnal Maroon! LOL!

AuntE said...

It wasn't meant to be funny really - just descriptive! I guess it ended up being both.

Then there's "Righteous Red" as in the old Anglican and Lutheran books, or "_________ navy" - the old United Church hymnal and the current Book of Praise. I'm sure someone out there can fill in the blank.