Sunday, November 29, 2009

Prepare the Way - Advent 1


The church year has rolled around and, once again, we are celebrating the first Sunday of Advent. Today I am struck by the discipline of waiting and preparing.

Christmas music is definitely some of my favourite. It fascinates me that many carols we sing have been sung for several centuries already. We only sing them for a short time each year, yet we know and love them and look forward to singing them every season. The discipline part comes for me in not using carols (in worship) that speak of Jesus' birth before Christmas Eve. We are still preparing for His arrival. We sing the words of the prophets. Christ will be our Dayspring from on high, the Key of David, Emmanuel - God with us! We wait and anticipate Christ's coming. Will you wait with me this Advent?

1 comment:

Dorothy said...

Yes, I am waiting with you, AuntE! I love the anticipation and even the discipline involved in refraining from singing the true Christmas carols until Christmas arrives. Not that I have anything to do with the choice of music in worship. But I do appreciate it when those are held for the appropriate time.