Sunday, August 29, 2010

Just to clarify...

Last night I realized that the phrase "dumbing down" did not sound very nice and that I needed to clarify myself a little. I'm not sure how widely used this term is or how it is usually used. Please forgive me if I offended you, my reader. What I meant by it was that unintentionally we could end up singing music that is so simple that our goal of excellence in worship would be left unchallenged. That is not to say that we shouldn't sing any and all pieces to the best of our ability.

The only comparison I can think of is this: Babies, after a few months, learn to digest mother's milk or formula much more easily than they digested it in the beginning. There is less spitting up, maybe less burping, etc. and they are ready for other food as well. At some point, that other food becomes necessary and vital to their growth.

So it should be with our spiritual expressions of praise. We will grow in our faith and our praise should expand with us! I hope this has made things clearer - and not muddier.

No comments: