Monday, August 23, 2010

Calm Repose

I was looking in this old hymnal the other day for an alternate tune I remembered singing with the words Guide me, O Thou great Jehovah. I found that tune, and then got 'lost' for awhile, thumbing through the book and looking at other hymns. Some I remembered and haven't sung for years, and others I don't think I'd even heard before such as this one:

O for a heart of calm repose
Amid the world's loud roar,
A life that like a river flows
Along a peaceful shore!

Come, Holy Spirit! still my heart
With gentleness divine;
Indwelling peace Thou canst impart;
O make that blessing mine!

Come, Holy Spirit! breathe that peace,
That vict'ry make me win;
Then shall my soul her conflict cease,
And find a heav'n within.

The author is anonymous; the tune (no name given) is by Henry W. Greatorex. No other information was published in this hymnal.

In spite of the outdated language, the words are meaningful even today. In fact, maybe they are even more necessary today as the roar of the world seems very loud at times!

I could leave my post there, but there is another dilemma I wish had an answer to. Who on earth put this tune with these words? In the first line there are 2 huge jumps in the melody - one 6th and one 7th. It doesn't strike me as being 'calm repose' to have a melody like that. I know, some of this comes down to the fact that 80 years ago two things were quite different.
1. The general population sang more than they do now.
2. More of the general population attended church than they do now.
I have no stats to back up my statements but I don't think I'm too far off the mark. Maybe congregations would not have found that melody as difficult to sing then as I think congregations today would. Maybe it's not such a bad marriage between words and tune. Maybe there's something else symbolic in the tune that I am not seeing. For sure I know there will always be more to learn about hymns.

No comments: