Monday, October 4, 2010

High King of heaven, my treasure Thou art

One of the reasons I began this blog is that I enjoy writing. When I was a teenager, I made a little money writing poetry and short, inspirational pieces and it was always so exciting to get that cheque in the mail! I might have pursued writing as a career except that the passion of making music took over and I knew I couldn't do without music in my life.

On my recent trip to Calgary, it was a thrill to meet an author whose work I've read and learned from . Pictured below (L-R) are author Donna Fletcher Crow, me and Donna's daughter, Elizabeth who lives in Calgary.


Donna lives in Idaho and arrived in Calgary around the same time as I did for a family visit and a book signing this coming Saturday. My sister, Sharon, told Donna about my concert at Grace Presbyterian and I was excited to learn that Donna, Elizabeth and a friend were able to come hear me play. There's much more to it than meeting this author whose work I enjoy. Donna writes historical fiction and I learned when reading The Fields of Bannockburn and Glastonbury (the history of Christianity in Scotland and England respectively) that the Celts had many small kingdoms whose monarchs would come together to elect one to be King over all. His title was "High King". Applying this knowledge to the hymn "Be Thou My Vision" gave the words a whole new meaning for me! Donna came to me after the concert and thanked me for my words and shared that she too would never sing this hymn the same way again.

I believe that when we learn more about the hymns and songs we sing in worship, we strengthen and enrich their meaning and our own praise as well.

6 comments:

Dorothy said...

"Be Thou My Vision" is one of my very favorites and I never knew of that meaning of "High King" either. Thank you for sharing that, AuntE.

I so wish I could have been at your concert too!

AuntE said...

Thanks Dorothy :)

I'm thinking of a mini-tour in S. Ontario next spring. Is that close enough to you to come? It would be neat to meet you in person!

Chris S. said...

Awww, that looks like a nice trip! I wish I could have been at your concert!

AuntE said...

Chris - next time I'll come a little farther north! Or have something on a Sat. when it's easier to travel...

Donna Fletcher Crow said...

Evangeline, I'm weeks late coming to your blog, but what fun to relive our lovely evening together through reading your article.

AuntE said...

Thanks Donna! Wish we'd had more time to visit... maybe in Idaho.