Sunday, December 21, 2008

Advent: Preparing for Christmas (4)



You may find it strange to learn that, even though I'm a musician, I don't have music playing in my house all the time. Oh, there are times when the house is full of music because my family members play, and because I have students coming in 3 days a week. I have noticed though, especially over the last few years, that the busier I am with my own music-making, or that of my choir and congregation, the less I listen to the music of others! I guess there just isn't room in my head for all the music I'd like to enjoy at this time of year, as well as all the music I'm trying to prepare or help others prepare. And let's not forget, we are still in Advent, that season of waiting for our Messiah, of preparing for His coming. If you are like me, there are still many preparations to be made...

Last year, about this time, I headed off to the grocery store one morning. I was feeling overwhelmed with all that yet needed to be done, (kind of like today!) and getting the groceries seemed to be just one more thing on the lengthy 'to-do' list. It was one of the rare occasions when I did have the radio on in the car and as I pulled in to the parking lot and parked the car, over the radio waves came the familiar strains of the Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's Messiah. I sat and listened to the whole piece and by the end the tears were streaming down my cheeks. God spoke to me through that beautiful music and reminded me of the reason for all our preparations. Our Messiah is coming! He will be crowned King of Kings, and Lord of Lords! And He shall reign forever and ever. Hallelujah!

No comments: