Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas!


Rejoice! Christ, the Saviour, is born!

Last Sunday evening, I attended the Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols service at St. Andrew's Woodhaven. (I try, every year, to attend one Advent/Christmas service where I don't have to play and can sit, sing, listen and worship.) As I parked the car and walked briskly through the crisp - no, make that frigid - December air, I was greeted by the bidding bell - and sure enough, as I entered the church there was a gentleman rhythmically pulling the rope!

One carol I nearly always think of on Christmas is "I heard the bells on Christmas day"although I rarely have an opportunity to sing it with others. I wrote the following for the bulletin on December 21st:
There is nothing quite like the stirring sound of church bells ringing out loud and clear to send shivers up and down my spine! I have had a couple opportunities to hear "the pealing of the bells" at St. Luke's Anglican down on Nassau St. N. and I find it a very moving experience. Bells have been used through the centuries to announce events both happy and sad. They bring communities together to worship (church bells) and to serve each other (fire bells). Considering how prominent bells are at this time of year I was surprised to find only two Advent/Christmas carols that mention bells: Long ago, prophets knew and I heard the bells on Christmas day. If you think of another one, please let me know!


I must have been tired when I wrote the above because I've easily thought of 2 more since: Ding-dong! Merrily on high and Ring, little bells. I'd still like to know what others you can think of.

No comments: