Saturday, December 13, 2008

'Twas in the Moon of Wintertime

All week long this carol has been running through my head. I hadn't really thought to post on it until I saw this lovely photo posted on a blog I found recently and have been visiting. The full moon has been casting lacy shadows from bare branches on the snow, and although it has been very cold this week, I have still appreciated and enjoyed the beauty of the moonlight.

Father Jean de Brebeuf (1593-1649)was a Jesuit from France who came to what is now Ontario in the 1600's to minister to the Huron Indians. His insight into their culture and his recognition of the strength of their beliefs is something that amazes me. Although the Huron nation was scattered by the Iroquois, the words of this carol survived in the Huron language for 100 years before it was translated into French. An English translation followed in 1926 by Jesse Edgar Middleton and that is what is commonly sung today. It is still under copyright so I won't include all the words here. I hope you're able to read them in your own hymnal. This is thought to be the first Christmas carol written in North America; I'm so glad I chose to include it in our Christmas Eve service!
Sources: Gerry Bowler's The World Encyclopedia of Christmas, pub. by McClelland & Stewart Ltd. c. 2000; and The Huron Carol, illustrated by Frances Tyrrell, pub. by Lester & Orpen Dennys Limited, c. 1990.

'Twas in the moon of wintertime
When all the birds had fled,
That mighty Gitchi-Manitou
Sent angel choirs instead...
"Jesus your King is born, Jesus is born,
In excelsis gloria!"

Within a lodge of broken bark
The tender Babe was found...
And as the hunter braves drew nigh
The angel song rang loud and high:
"Jesus your King is born, Jesus is born,
In excelsis gloria!"


...The chiefs from far before Him knelt
With gifts of fox and beaver pelt.
"Jesus your King is born, Jesus is born,
In excelsis gloria!"

O children of the forest free,
O sons of Manitou,
The Holy Child of earth and heaven
Is born today for you...
"Jesus your King is born, Jesus is born,
In excelsis gloria!"
Words translation by J.E. Middleton, c. The Frederick Harris Music Co. Ltd.

1 comment:

Dorothy said...

Hello AuntE,

I do love the carol "Twas in the Moon of Wintertime" and am pleased that you found inspiration from my hubby's photo to post on it. What a lovely compliment!

I am not a musician (not even a very good singer) but I love hymns and am learning so much from you and C.W.S. and others. Thank you!