Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Of singers, past and present


Today was a more emotional day than I anticipated. In preparation for St. Andrew's move at the end of next week, I went over to the church today to pack up choir gowns and music. As I took each choir gown from its hanger and folded it up, I noticed the name (or names) on the inside neckline indicating who had worn that one over the years of its existence. Most were names of those still with us on this earth, but occasionally I'd see one that has 'gone on before'. It made me think of choristers of all ages, with a wide range of experience, in many places around the world who, at one time or another, raised their voices in song. I find it rather humbling to think that I am one person, only one, in such a long line of singers and musicians stretching behind me in time. Then I imagine all those who will someday look backward to see me in that line. Today was a more emotional day than I anticipated...

2 comments:

C.W.S. said...

Those saints who have gone before will still be s inging with you in your new location. The older I get the closer I feel to that great cloud of witnesses around us and I know they are always with us in worship.

AuntE said...

I do agree on both points. Thank you CWS.