Thursday, January 26, 2012

What they sang

I might have known I couldn't leave it alone! I just had to check the hymn numbers to see what they sang at those 2 services on October 24, 1954. The first thing to do was go to the bookshelf to pull my copy of The Book of Praise, 1918 which is what I'm assuming they were using in 1954. (New hymnals were issued in 1972 and again in 1997.) Only the numbers were printed in the bulletin - no titles. Where there was a possibility of more than one tune, I have listed all the tune names.

Here's what I found for the morning service:
#21 - (Psalm 24:7-10) Ye gates, lift up your heads on high - ST. GEORGE'S EDINBURGH
#436 - Come let us to the Lord our God - BELMONT
#295 - The church's one foundation - AURELIA
#531 - How firm a foundation - ADESTE FIDELES

At the evening service, these were the hymns:
#77 - (Psalm 91:1-6, 9, 10) The man who once has found abode - TALLIS'S CANON or PHILADELPHIA
#86 - (Psalm 100) All people that on earth do dwell - OLD 100TH
#399 - Come, let us sing of a wonderful love - WONDERFUL LOVE
#254 - All hail the power of Jesus' name - MILES LANE or UNIVERSITY or CORONATION

Here are some observations. There are 2 tunes here I don't know - ST. GEORGE'S EDINBURGH and PHILADELPHIA. It surprised me to see "How firm a foundation" paired with the tune we commonly use for "O come, all ye faithful". In my nearly 14 years with the Presbyterian church, only the settings of Psalm 24 and 91 are unfamiliar. All the other texts and most of the tunes are used on a somewhat regular basis.

While it is true that newer music is also used in worship today, I fear we rely too heavily on the 'tried and true' hymns which people in 1954 sang. Do these speak to people today? Are we trying to keep alive an expression of faith which has no meaning in 2012? Comments are always welcome, my readers.

2 comments:

Dorothy said...

In our church (Orthodox Presbyterian), we sing "How Firm a Foundation" to the tune of "O Come, All Ye Faithful." I have not always attended this church so it used to strike me as rather unexpected but I am more used to it now.

AuntE said...

Thanks for your comment Dorothy. I'm guessing I would react as you have - unusual combination at first, but I'd get used to it.

It's interesting to me how the choice of tune can make such a difference in one's perception of the text and 'feel' of the hymn overall.